1 the state of needing something that is absent or unavailable; "there is a serious lack of insight into the problem"; "water is the critical deficiency in desert regions"; "for want of a nail the shoe was lost" [syn: lack, want]
2 lack of an adequate quantity or number; "the inadequacy of unemployment benefits" [syn: insufficiency, inadequacy] [ant: sufficiency, sufficiency]
inadequacy or incompleteness
A deficiency is a lack of something.
- In mathematics, a deficient number is a number n for which σ(n) < 2n.
- In medicine there are a variety of nutrient deficiencies:
- In construction, a deficiency is an item or condition that is considered sub-standard or below minimum expectations, such as those mandated by either drawings or specifications or the building code or the fire code, and/or any combination of the foregoing. Deficiencies are routinely discussed and dealt with in construction site meetings.
- In genetics, a genetic deletion is also called a Deficiency.
- In Real estate law, a deficiency in the ability to pay off a debt is also called a deficiency judgment or deficiency judgement.
deficiency in German: Mangel
deficiency in Dutch: Deficiëntie
deficiency in Norwegian: Mangel
absence, adulteration, arrearage, arrestment, baseness, beggary, blemish, break, bug, callowness, catch, crack, dearth, defalcation, default, defect, defectibility, defection, defectiveness, deficit, demerit, deprivation, dereliction, destitution, discontinuity, drawback, drought, erroneousness, failing, failure, fallibility, famine, fault, faultiness, faute, fewness, flaw, foible, frailty, gap, hiatus, hole, immaturity, impairment, imperfection, impoverishment, impurity, inaccuracy, inadequacy, inadequateness, incompetence, incompleteness, incompletion, inexactitude, inexactness, infirmity, insufficiency, interval, kink, lack, lacuna, little problem, littleness, maladroitness, meanness, mediocrity, miscarriage, missing link, need, neglect, omission, outage, patchiness, pettiness, privation, problem, rift, scantiness, scrappiness, shabbiness, short measure, short weight, shortage, shortcoming, shortfall, sin, sketchiness, smallness, snag, something missing, starvation, subnormality, taint, triviality, ullage, underage, underdevelopment, undevelopment, unevenness, unperfectedness, unskillfulness, unsoundness, vulgarity, vulnerable place, want, wantage, weak link, weak point, weakness